It’s pretty simple really, food is medicine. So it’s more important than ever to educate yourself about eating well. That’s why a natural thyroid diet is all about eating a nutritious, REAL food diet.
Four Diet Tips To Look and Feel Your Best
1. Eliminate thyroid damaging foods. It may surprise you to learn that everyday foods may be undermining your thyroid health. For my money, the most damaging are: artificial sweeteners, Canola oil, soy oil, hidden soy and corn (maize) ingredients and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Soy and Canola oil are often labeled deceptively as ‘vegetable oil’.
2. Avoid gluten. It is common to experience significant improvements in thyroid health when you eliminate gluten from the diet. Gluten is the protein component of grains such as wheat, rye, barley, triticale and oats. Gluten irritates the lining of the digestive system and can trigger systemic inflammation. I therefore recommend excluding all gluten containing foods to support your overall health.
3. Don’t go raw! Sure, there are good reasons to enjoy some raw food in your diet however I don’t agree with embracing a 100% raw food diet. When you have a thyroid issue it is best to emphasis foods that are warming and nourishing. In short, stay away from hyped-up and restrictive diet recommendations. Choose foods that suit your environment and foods that have the greatest potential to nourish your thyroid.
4. Choose organic fruit and vegetables whenever possible. Conventional produce can harbor multiple pesticide residues. Organic food = less thyroid disrupting pesticides and herbicides. Organic farmers also take a firm stance on biotechnology that modifies the genetic make-up of a plant by saying ‘NO to GM foods’. If possible visit a local farmers market to stock up on a healthy organic produce for the week.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN…
- A Natural Approach To Help Halt Thyroid Hair LossIf you’re worried about hair loss the root cause could be your thyroid. In fact, hair loss is one of the most common, and distressing signs of an under active thyroid. This article provides information on a natural approach to…
- Could A Gluten-Free Diet Help Heal Your Thyroid?A gluten-free diet strictly excludes gluten which is a common food protein found naturally in a variety of grains. Gluten is also found in a wide range of processed foods along with beer and malt drinks as they are made…
- Top 5 Diet Tips To Safeguard Your Thyroid And Support Strong ImmunityWondering what are the best foods to eat to heal hypothyroidism and support immunity? To help you make better food choices we have compiled