Autoimmune thyroid disorders are the most common cause of thyroid dysfunction but often go undiagnosed due to inadequate testing.
This article discusses the simple tests that reveal thyroid-immune dysfunction.
Thyroid-immune dysfunction occurs when the immune system produces antibodies that directly target the small butterfly-shaped thyroid.
It’s WHY you need to measure specific thyroid autoantibodies as part of a complete thyroid panel.
Raised thyroid antibodies is a critical diagnostic marker of ATD.
Thyroid antibody testing screens for autoimmune thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease.
The Simple Tests For Thyroid-Immune Dysfunction You Need To Know About
To make things easier, here’s the list of lab tests I normally recommend to help get to the root of thyroid dysfunction.
- Anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb).
- Anti-thyroperoxidase (TPO) antibodies.
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).
- Free Thyroxine (FT4).
- Free Triiodothyronine (FT3).
- Reverse T3 (RT3).
In addition, make sure your healthcare practitioner may recommend getting a thyroid ultrasound done to check for any abnormalities within your thyroid and neck region.
Finding It Hard To Get Tested?
If you have a hard time getting the tests you want there is good news. Companies such as i-screen, Australia and True Health Labs, USA offer a range of thyroid tests. You can order and pay for the tests you want online. No referral necessary!
Mazzone R, Zwergel C, Artico M, et al. The emerging role of epigenetics in human autoimmune disorders. Clin Epigenetics. 2019;11(1):34. Published 2019 Feb 26.
Yoo WS, Chung HK. Recent Advances in Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 2016;31(3):379–385.
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click through to order the lab tests you want the price does not change. To find out more about my affiliate policy please refer to my Terms of Service.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN…
- Top 5 Thyroid Tests: The Best Tests To Discuss With Your DoctorWhile routine testing of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) plays an important role in thyroid assessment it doesn’t provide the full picture. Here are the top 5 thyroid tests that will help you discover what’s really going on with your thyroid…
- A Naturopath’s Guide to Finding the Best Thyroid SupplementsThere are many different thyroid health supplements available in Australia. When taken as recommended these supplements are an important extension of healthy eating and are incredibly useful to fill any dietary gaps. However, not all are created equal and finding…
- What’s The Future For The Standard of Care For Hypothyroidism?Back in the 1970’s a prescription for levothyroxine, the thyroid hormone preparation that supplies a synthetic form of thyroxine (T4), became the standard of care for hypothyroidism. At the core of this treatment approach is the belief that hypothyroid disorders…